Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving was a huge day of learning for me. This was the first year we had Thanksgiving dinner with just the two of us, and the main thing I learned was how grateful I am for my own parents and how they pull of Thanksgiving every year without a hitch! (not to mention pulling off every day of raising a large family! Thanks mom and dad, you're so great. :D) Here are some other things I learned:

1. Thanksgiving is not as fun without family. Well, it's fun in a different way. It was great relaxing all day, having a smaller meal with less prep time, and spending the maximum amount of time with my husband. But I do miss my family during these special holiday celebrations as well. I'm excited someday to have a family of our own so we can have crazy, wild Thanksgivings just like back home!

2. Yeast. is not that hard actually. Actually, what I really learned is that 100 degrees does not mean my finger should be burning off. Turns out, I've killed every yeast I've ever attempted! With plenty of research, I made these delicious rolls from Our Best Bites and for the first time ever, my rolls rose! It was a beautiful and delicious thing.



 3. I don't think I love Thanksgiving food. Maybe I wasn't in the mood this year, but really I just wanted turkey and rolls. The mashed potatoes and green bean casserole really didn't float my boat. I think that over the course of the next few years, I'll start finding out the things we really enjoy at Thanksgiving, and then adjust the recipes to make them our own traditional foods!



4. I love pecan pie...but again, it wasn't my favorite this year. I think I overbaked the pecan pie (or rather, our oven overbakes everything!) It's pretty good, but a little too hard on top and the crust is not as flaky as I'd like. And next year, I'd like to make a few more pies instead of just one!



5. Thanksgiving is mostly about gratitude. And I'm glad we had a smaller meal so I could not be in the kitchen so long- we spent time together, and it was great. I'm so grateful for Thanksgiving and a time to be extra thankful each year!

No comments:

Post a Comment