Friday, November 30, 2012

Chicken Shawarma

When the Avengers came out on DVD, we bought it the first day without even having seen it before. And it was amazing! Well, at the end they all go have chicken shawarma after the big battle scene (sorry if I ruined the end for anyone, but a big battle seems pretty obvious right? :D) and I remembered that I had a recipe for chicken shawarma saved to my Pinterest.

I actually planned this meal totally believing my husband would hate it. He doesn't love bready things too much (and oh my goodness do I love bready things!) and he's not a fan of cold meats either...but he actually loved this meal and said we should have it again!



I used this recipe from The Kitchn for pitas, but I think I'd be willing to try a different recipe next time. Actually, now that I know how to properly rise yeast (sadly I made this dinner before Thanksgiving), I think this recipe would turn out great next time! My pitas didn't open enough for pockets, so they were difficult to roll up and eat.



The shawarma was amazing! I'd make this again in a heartbeat. I used this recipe from The Shiksa in the Kitchen and although I used all chicken breasts and she'd probably be mad at me, it was still delicious and I want to look through her other recipes as well.



I also made a tzatziki sauce  which I really loved. I'd like to make it just for vegetable dips too! The only thing was the garlic was quite strong (I used 2 cloves in a half batch) and next time I'll definitely opt for one or even half a clove. As I had it for leftovers, the garlic got even stronger as well, so I had to get rid of it because it was overpowering.

Basically, this was great. My husband could have the meat with lettuce and spicy peppers, and I had meat with cucumbers and tzatziki. We'll definitely have this again with pitas now that I can use yeast!

No comments:

Post a Comment