Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dessert of the Week: Mint Oreo Brownies

St. Patrick's Day was a while ago now. I had a whole list of desserts to celebrate: mint desserts, green desserts, chocolate-y mint-y desserts (I tend to make a lot of lists of desserts, then I only make one of them :) But it's fun to dream!). However, St. Patrick's Day was a miserable, rainy, day of apartment searching and stress. So I never got around to making fun green treats!

When I told my husband about this, he was so confused at why I thought I could only make green treats on March 17th. I suppose he's right, why can't mint and green be part of my dessert every day! So I bought more oreos at the grocery store (not mint kind, because I like to buy the cheap brand and they didn't have mint), and made these delicious brownies from Love Veggies and Yoga.

(Her mint brownies. Don't they look sooooo yummy!)

I just used a brownie mix. Normally I would have made them from scratch, but I'm making a chocolate cake for my husband's birthday this week, so I didn't feel like making two major desserts in one week. So brownie mix it was! Then I swirled in some of the minty marshmallow cream mixture before baking. The recipe only called for 1/8 teaspoon mint flavoring, and I'm glad I didn't overdo it! I've read that mint has a tendency to taste very much like fluoride if you add too much, so I was careful to be on the conservative side. It was perfect! It might have been even better with mint oreos, but I certainly can't complain.

(Baked brownies with mint swirl)

After last week's frosting fail on my birthday, I was careful to follow a good recipe for frosting, and pay attention to what consistency I wanted. The frosting was perfect! I halved it, which was perfect because the frosting was already very thick compared to the brownies. The crushed oreos on top made it a perfect, very very rich, treat!

It made a 9x13 pan, which was amazing because it meant we could try some, I could give a plate to a neighbor, let my visiting teachers try one, and still have about 10 to freeze for sometime later! I love having frozen treats in my freezer. It just makes me feel so happy inside!

(Look how thick that mint layer is. I'm glad I halved it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment