Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Birthday Fail Cake

I had a lovely cake planned for my birthday! I thought I did everything right. I made the cake the day before, so it could refrigerate overnight and so I wouldn't need to spend all day in the kitchen on my birthday. On the big day, I made buttercream using this recipe, so I could make the perfect piped roses on my beautiful cake. It was two chocolate layers, with oreo buttercream in the middle, and white roses on the outside (And by that, I mean, that's how it was in my mind :D).

(My cake inspiration from I Am Baker)


What actually happened was the cake fell apart. I have no idea what happened! I only made a half batch of cake, so maybe that contributed? Also, the buttercream was so stiff. I have researched other recipes since then, and I think the recipe I used had about twice as much powdered sugar than most. Essentially the frosting made the cake crumble even more, and by that time, I was dejected about the whole cake-y mess.

(Did I mention my husband got me flowers? Daisies are my favorite! They made me feel better about the cake-y mess :D)


However, luckily Pinterest has been saving me lately. I had recently found several recipes for trifle, and therefore trifle has been on my mind a lot lately. The thought of a cake-y, moist, oreo-filled dessert with vanilla ice cream made me feel instantly better! I even had some cool whip in the freezer, which I never have! I layered cake, chocolate pudding, crushed oreos, and cool whip, then did it all again. I didn't even use any of the ruined buttercream...but I did save it in the freezer so I can take it out someday and attempt to fix it. I can't let frosting go to waste!

So what is this a picture of? Most people would say trifle. But honestly, I would call this fail cake. However, it was the best fail cake I've ever had! And there are leftovers of that in the freezer as well. :) 



Also, an update on my March craft project! I'm making another skirt, and just last night I decided to pull out all the stitching and start over. The pockets were all wrong, and I figured I might as well try to do it right, since otherwise I will never wear it. I should be finishing it this weekend, just in time for warm weather!

(My skirt, before I took it all apart last night to redo it!)



No comments:

Post a Comment