Sunday, October 12, 2014

Roy's Baby Blessing and Our Miracles

We blessed Roy at church when he was six weeks old on Sunday, September 28th. There were three baby blessings that day! Two of my sisters and their families were able to come and be there with us. It was such a wonderful blessing! Roy was blessed in the white blanket that my Grandma Bonnie made that belonged to me. When Shenli held up Roy after the blessing for the congregation to see, there was an audible whisper that ran through the crowd. Roy's hair always causes quite a stir! We had moved into this ward just a few weeks before I had Roy and so we haven't been to church much at all. So now it is fun to get to know ward members with our new baby!




There have also been some wonderful miracles in our life lately that I wanted to record. The first was on Roy's blessing day. My dad's favorite hymn was #194, There Is a Green Hill Far Away. Since it is a Sacrament hymn, we sing it quite frequently of course, but throughout my life I have noticed that I tend to sing it in Sacrament meeting on important days in my life! Back at BYU in the ward I met Shenli, I gave a talk one Sunday early in the semester, and I was so nervous - but we sang that song and it calmed me. Shenli remembers noticing me during my talk, and so the hymn was there with us as we began our friendship and eventual marriage! The same thing happened on Roy's blessing day - Hymn #194 was our Sacrament hymn. I was nervous that day too, since we hadn't taken Roy anywhere for 3 hours before, and I was worried he would cry the whole time. But he was so wonderful at church, and I am grateful for my dad's favorite hymn being there with us.

The other miracle I wanted to mention was that the Lord always knows what we need and what we can handle. About a week ago now, I had a particularly stressful day. I have been working from home now and that sure takes up a lot of time and energy! I was in a grumpy mood from work, household chores, and Roy demanding so much (I know I know..he's not even 2 months! But sometimes it just gets to me...). At the end of the day as I was being sad, Shenli asked what I needed. I said "honestly, I just want to sleep 8 solid hours for once in my life again!" There was nothing Shenli could do about that of course, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. So I went to bed at 9pm that night, just after we put down Roy. And then...Roy slept until 3:45am! It was the first time he had "slept through the night", and I got almost 7 solid hours of sleep before I had to wake up. Since then, Roy has followed that same pattern - and although I don't go to bed at 9pm every night, I can get a solid chunk of sleep before Roy gets up to eat! The Lord truly knows what we need, and when we need it. Although it was just a little thing for me to get more sleep (and I'm sure that 8 solid hours is still a long ways off for me :D), the Lord blessed me in my hour of need. And I am so grateful!


Roy will be two months this week! I am sure I will write a little more about him, with some of the fun pictures he's taken lately! And I still have a few recipes up my sleeve, don't worry. I just need to make them again so I can get good pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment