Sunday, October 26, 2014

My Happiness Project

If you haven't read The Happiness Project, I highly recommend it! I am not usually into self-help books or nonfiction, mostly because a lot of self-help books to me seem similar, and I am either doing many of the things in the books already, or else I am not ready to make some of the other changes!

But this book is different. Or maybe it just really clicked with me. Either way, I loved it! I loved that anyone could benefit from asking themselves what truly makes them happy. Since reading it, I find myself asking the question "what makes me more happy?" or "do I do this because it makes me actually happy?".

For instance, with eating right vs. eating pizza and brownies all day. Which one makes me more happy? I am still wrestling with that one though...so let's move on to some easier ones. :D

When my mom was in town, somehow the topic of napkins came up, and I mentioned that I only use napkins on special occasions. Clearly I have issues. But anyway, she said "Well, today is a special occasion!" and we used the napkins. Now I'm not saying that I never use napkins ever. But, for instance, if I cooked bacon and wanted to put it on a napkin or paper towel to remove the grease, I would take a napkin and rip it in half to use less. Because clearly I need to save those 97cent napkins so I don't have to buy them frequently!

Since my mom made that statement, I have now found myself considering every day a special occasion for many things. For instance, I now allow myself to use more plastic wrap, instead of reusing kind that is clearly meant for the trash. I run the dishwasher before we run out of dishes (I used to use random tupperware as bowls for my breakfast cereal, to save...dish soap I guess?). I do laundry more frequently. I wear my favorite clothes and shoes instead of saving them for some "special occasion". And here are a few big ones:

-I throw away bobby pins that are sharp because they have lost their plastic coating. Um hello, why would I put myself through pain of bobby pins rather than just buying new ones?!
-I buy makeup supplies. I had one makeup brush that was broken, so it was just the tip with the brush on it left. Why not just buy another!

Some might say, and I've pondered this myself too, that I am just being less conservative now, and becoming more wasteful. And sure, that is the case. BUT it is making me more happy! Having clean dishes makes me happy. Even more than the 'joy' I received from conserving water and dish soap.

I have some other happiness goals I want to tackle from this book, but that was the main one. To make myself happy by using up things. I highly recommend everyone read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment