Monday, January 14, 2013

Winter Wreath

I kind of skipped Christmas, in case you didn't notice. I didn't have a tree, decorations, candy plates for neighbors, a Christmas wreath, anything! But even during December, I knew I wanted to make a winter wreath. Even though Christmas only lasts a month, winter lasts decades at least (this year I'm pretty sure it's millennia). 

I've been thinking about this wreath for a while now, and I was never able to find exactly the pieces I wanted, so it kind of evolved into something entirely different. I wanted snowlakes on it (the epitome of winter to me), but for some reason, most stores only sell snowflakes before Christmas...so I was out of luck. 


I had the white ribbon/silver ribbon idea from the start, and I randomly spied these adorable pearl strands while at the craft store. I couldn't find anything to go in the middle, and I'm not entirely happy with the giant (no seriously, it's sooooo giant.) ribbon bow, so I'll probably rip it off and find a real snowflake next year. But for now, I love this wreath for winter!


Oh, did I mention this wreath could fall apart at any moment? Okay, probably not, but it is definitely held together with string. I started off with my hot glue gun, which worked great for the ribbon. But the pearl strands are so heavy that glue wouldn't hold them, and I was determined to finish the wreath in one day. I broke out the yarn and began wrapping over and over....then I secured it all with a bit of glue and voila! Despite having a white door, I still love that this wreath is white, and someday we'll probably have a different colored door, and I'll love this even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment