Monday, January 7, 2013

Why I'll Never Be A Food Blogger....

I've been meaning to post about these cookies for a few weeks- ever since I made them before Christmas vacation to take to some of our neighbors. I had grand visions of those amazing treat plates that neighbors sometimes give you- frosted sugar cookies, fudge, toffee, homemade almond joy or peanut butter cups....but that never happened. Mostly because finals week was very busy for us, and since most of our neighbors leave after finals week...there wasn't much time before Christmas. So I just made these super simple sugar cookies (they don't even require frosting because they have a very nice sweet sugar cookie taste- not at all bready or dry) one night.


But back to why I'll never be a real food blogger...when we got back from Christmas break, I finally began checking all of the blogs I follow again. I was greeted with a very unpleasant thing (at least unpleasant to me)- VALENTINE'S DAY IDEAS. I mean, I love Valentine's Day and all, but on January 2nd? Do we always have to start thinking about the next holiday before we've even recovered from the last one? Not to mention having to cook all that food super early, and then when V-Day comes around, you're cooking Easter things...and it could just get crazy how far ahead you have to be. So while I love having this blog, and getting to write (and rant :D) a bit about my love of food and crafty things, I'll never take this far enough to do things months in advance. I mean...think about cooking a Thanksgiving turkey before Halloween! It's just strange...

Okay, back to these cookies. They tasted so good! And they were super easy. I used this recipe from SaltTree and  followed her tutorial as well and it worked great. I really liked getting the bottom dough layer slightly wet before laying the other dough on top, so that they stick together easily. The only thing I would've changed is I would've refrigerated my dough before rolling it out and I also just rolled my dough straight on the counter, and then it stuck to the counter when I tried to roll it! So using parchment or something else would've helped a ton.

 

Oh also, the cookies were super tiny when I cut them into circles, but they baked into perfectly good-sized cookies. And the swirls looked pretty lopsided before they were baked, but I think it evened out in the oven alright. I'm just so happy with how these turned out!



No comments:

Post a Comment