Thursday, August 9, 2012

Just a Simple Square

Remember the awesome blue kitchen fabric I found? I finally did something with it!

It's just a simple square for our table. Sort of a table runner, but you can't really run much down our square table. Eventually I'd like to put a vase of flower's on top of it, or a bowl of something or other...(I'm really not much of an interior designer :D) but for now it's just a square. Its only real purpose is to make me happy whenever I see it!
Square! Maybe something in this bowl?


Unfortunately, a "simple square" isn't really that simple for me. This project really made me wish I had some more sewing lessons. My mother taught me so much growing up- we sewed skirts, pajama pants, dresses, even part of a quilt. But I always skipped instructions and took shortcuts. I figured sewing a straight line was super easy, so I could zoom through it and not take the time to learn the right way. That's why all my little kid projects were mediocre at best, and my sewing these days is unfortunately suffering because of my lack of discipline.


Case in point. This was just a square. I did take the time to cut it well (thank goodness I finally see the point of cutting things straight!) and I pinned it all around. But while I was sewing, two things happened: first, it kept bunching and shifting and so the edges didn't line up, and second, my sewing lines are definitely not straight. The edges have curves and wavy parts- why is a straight line hard for me?

Ripple-y

Wavy

So new goals: learn the basics. With the rest of this fabric, I plan to make some coasters (again- just the thought of using this fabric again makes me so happy!). So it will be my goal to cut straight, pin well, and most importantly- sew straight. I will be slow and deliberate. I will re-do my mistakes. I will take the time to iron everything. I will start from scratch, and do. it. right. for once. I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment