Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cafe Rio for Dinner

Aren't crockpot meals supposed to be easier? Lately I feel all the crockpot meals I try involve quite a bit of work after the fact. They're definitely still delicious, but I'm not sure I agree that crockpots save that much time for a lot of things.

However...my problem might be that I unnecessarily complicate things for myself. Hamburgers? Let's make homemade buns! Pizza? Definitely homemade crust and pizza sauce. So when it came to Cafe Rio, homemade tortillas were the plan! I used this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, and it was pure happiness.

It really did make so many tortillas. Yum yum yum!

Okay, not sure that tortillas can be considered pure happiness. But I can tell you that most doughs I've ever made are difficult to roll out, they tear or stick to the counter, or need tons of flour, etc. etc. This dough was amazing. After I rolled it into ping pong size balls, I did as the recipe said and rolled it out so thin I could see my counter through it. And when I pulled it up, it was still perfect! It didn't rip at all, and it was so elastic. I love homemade tortillas. And it made so many that I froze them and I can have hot lovely tortillas anytime I want. The only change was that I didn't use as much water as the recipe called for. I looked at other recipes online and they didn't call for that much, so when my dough was the perfect texture, I just stopped. 


As for the meat, this recipe from Barbara Bakes was probably the best Cafe Rio crockpot pork I've had. I guess technically I cheated and didn't marinate the meat before- I just threw the marinade in with the meat, then drained it after 6 hours on low, and put in the enchilada sauce for about an hour afterward. It was still mighty yummy!


I had every intention of making this delicious rice from Skinny Taste, but we decided we weren't hungry enough for a huge meal. Next time for sure though, because it would truly complete it!
Cilantro Lime Rice from Skinny Taste

So we just stuck to our awesome homemade tortillas, Cafe Rio pork, with homemade pico de gallo and cheese to top it off! This recipe's a keeper. I think I'd even love it in salad form- I've never actually had the Cafe Rio salad!
My camera died before I got the full meal picture. So here's just some pico de gallo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment