Monday, May 6, 2013

I just can't get into holidays....

I always feel like I'm most crafty when there's nothing at all going on. I didn't do a single thing for Christmas last year, and I couldn't even make the tiniest decoration for Valentine's day. I always miss the big holidays, but I seem to get a crafting craze during July or August when there isn't really any big holidays to decorate or make treats for. :)

So unfortunately, that means the last few months have been pretty bare in the crafting/baking/doing anything area. I haven't really participated in New Year's, Valentine's Day, our birthdays, St. Patrick's Day, Easter...anything! I actually did make a spring wreath...I'll have to go get pictures of that sometime! But here are the few things I have done lately:

Halal Chicken and Rice
I've been threatening to make this dish for months, and I finally did it! It just sounds kind of weird, so I think that's why my husband was wary of trying it. :) But it turned out really well! It's very similar to chicken shawarma, which I love. The white sauce isn't tzatziki though, it's just a lemony creamy sauce. It didn't have quite enough flavor right off the bat though- it could have been that I used chicken breasts instead of thighs....but after sitting a day in the fridge, the leftovers were much more flavorful!

 Cinco de Mayo
We had an AMAZING Cinco de Mayo dinner up at my sister's house, and she let me bring dessert! I have a hard time thinking up desserts to feed 10+ people, but this trifle was just the thing. I need to think of trifles more often! Although mine had to be in a big bowl instead of the pretty clear glass trifle dishes, I still think it turned out pretty well (plus the bowl was overflowing!) I also made Mexican wedding cookies (also calledmany other things), just for something that actually qualifies as Mexican food. Both desserts were so good! I just love making dessert. Like....seriously.



Actually, I really love dessert so much that I've officially decided to open a bakery someday. That sounds really weird saying it like that, and of course it won't be until I'm a grandma probably, but I would truly love to have a little shop and just make all my favorite treats. And learn to make actual good treats! So that's the life goal---40 years from now! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment