Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mini Cakes

When I first saw this idea last year, I knew I would try it. Unfortunately, there aren't many reasons to make single-serving cakes. (I know, you shouldn't need a reason! :D) Usually I only make cakes for birthdays or holidays, which usually include quite a few people. However, with my husband heading back to school this semester, I wanted to make him his own school treat!



My idea for the cake started off like Bakingdom's pencil cake, but I quickly realized that I couldn't do chocolate very well that way (and chocolate was a requirement), and I also would have to do quite a few colors of frosting...so unfortunately that creative spark died.


So I just decided on a regular chocolate cake, with some kind of decorate chocolate frosting. Easy enough, right? Ahem....wrong. I followed Oh Happy Day's mini cake instructions, using a chocolate cake for two recipe from Daydreamer Desserts. The cake itself reminded me of my favorite chocolate cake recipe, so if you're looking for a smaller cake, this one is great! The instructions for mini cakes said to fill the empty tin cans a little over half full. But, if you plan to do this, I would do a test run first. I don't know what cake recipe she used, but my cake expanded so much in the oven and poured all over the sides of the can!

This is what happens when you spill cake all over :(

Clearly, not my baking day. Strangely, since I used a small cake recipe, I actually still had batter left. I had one overly-full can still in the oven (which probably baked for almost an hour when all was done), and I filled another can 1/3 full and baked that- probably about 30 minutes. I let both cakes cool for forever, then finally dumped them out and (thankfully) they were both all cooked!

Lovely can cakes. This cake recipe was delicious

I cut the cake into 4 layers. I love how tiny they are

I still wanted to decorate pretty, but I gave up those dreams about two seconds in. By that time, I was tired of baking and I wanted to get to eating! So I guess I will practice my decorating skills later. I learned so much on this project though, so it was totally worth it. I learned to only fill things 1/3 full, because its much better to have a short cake than one spilling over the sides. Plus it helps lower the cooking time. I also learned that I have a sugar problem. Actually, its more of a butter phobia actually. When I make frosting, I originally follow the correct ratios for a basic buttercream. But when I need to make more or make it stiffer, I only add sugar, not butter. I used to wonder why my frosting was so sickeningly sweet every time...well this frosting was the worst of all. It was so sweet, but I didn't realize how bad it was until we were eating it up. My new goal is to find a buttercream recipe, follow it, and get over butter. If I keep cheating while indulging, it just never turns out good! Overall, I love mini cakes. Definitely will make these again! 

 
My original cake design. Didn't happen...



Cake design for me- purple ombre. I need stiffer frosting for this next time..and more patience

No comments:

Post a Comment